|Copyright Highlights for Children August 1962|
- Goofus agrees to play, then calls five minutes before the game and says, "I forgot I have tickets to the opera."
- Gallant checks his calendar before accepting and says, "I'm free and I'd love to play!"
- Goofus coughs and sneezes all over the tiles and says, "I just can't get rid of this cold!"
- Gallant remembers to sneeze into his sleeve and uses Purell before touching the tiles.
- Goofus pulls out a $20 bill on a $3 pie and asks if you have change.
- Gallant makes sure to bring nickles, dimes and quarters.
- Goofus will contact a casual friend or stranger and expect her to find him a game.
- Gallant will be proactive and take a class, find a community center or start a meetup group.
- Goofus will corner a good player on a break and whisper, "Play in my game - and don't tell the others!"
- Gallant will either invite everyone present or issue invitations privately.
- Goofus will point and say, "Ha, ha! You could have taken her joker!"
- Gallant will remain silent and assume the joker was not needed.
- Goofus will snarf down all the Crunch 'N Munch and never bring snacks or nosh.
- Gallant, realizing the hostess is on a budget, will ask, "And what may I bring?"
- Goofus will spread rumors and say, "What a cheater! She can't possibly win so much!"
- Gallant will admire the achievements of a good player.
- Goofus at the end of the game will ask, "Who's driving me home?"
- Gallant will make appropriate arrangements in advance.
The etiquette of mahjongg is self-explanatory. If you want to play in more games, don't be a Goofus! You are welcome to post your Goofus moments - anonymously or otherwise.